Surely, in the garden of each hostess, an important place is reserved for cucumbers. How to prepare cucumber seeds so that all neighbors will envy the harvest? It would seem nothing complicated, but ...
- Preparing cucumber seeds for sowing
- Sowing cucumbers
Preparing cucumber seeds for sowing
Before sowing, the seeds must be carefully sorted out and the most suitable ones must be selected. To do this, they need to be placed in a container with liquid and wait a few minutes. Next, a special saline solution is prepared (the ratio of table salt and water is 3: 1) and soaked seeds are added to it.
In order to reject unnecessary seeds from the entire amount, it is necessary to pour the resulting composition from one container to another several times.
All floating seeds are thrown away, and the rest are well washed from salt and dried.
- The next step is to separate the remaining seeds by size. They need to be planted separately, in accordance with the parameters.
- To disinfect your seeds, you need to keep them for at least 3 hours at a temperature of 60 ° C. After that, treatment is carried out with a weak solution of potassium permanganate with the addition of boric acid (1 g of potassium permanganate per 10 liters of water and 0.2 g of boric acid) for 15 minutes. At the end, you need to rinse the seeds with running water.
- It has recently become popular to expose seeds to ultraviolet radiation. This enhances growth and improves the health of future seedlings. The irradiation process lasts from 1 to 5 minutes, then the seeds must be isolated from light sources for some time. For these purposes, a regular black photo paper bag is suitable.
- To saturate the seeds with microelements, a special mixture should be prepared. Take 2 tablespoons of ash and infuse in 1 liter of liquid for 2 days. The seeds are placed in the resulting solution and are in it for about 3 hours, after which they must be well dried. Also, flower shops sell special mixtures with a ready-made set of trace elements.
After carrying out all the above procedures, your seeds need to be hardened. To do this, they are first wrapped with a cloth soaked in water (or buried in wet sand) and, maintaining a temperature of +20 + 25 ° C, they are waiting until they swell.
It is important to ensure that the seeds are constantly in a humid environment.
After swelling, they are placed in the same cloth in the refrigerator for several days (the temperature should be about -1 -3 ° C).
Sowing of cucumbers is done in late March - early April. Dry seeds sprout for 5-8 days, and already germinated for 2-3 days. At this time, they are planted in greenhouses or warm greenhouses. In the future, you can get 150-170 seedlings, while spending 0.5-0.8 g of seeds.
It is very important that young shoots do not get caught during the spring frost. Before sowing, the temperature of the soil and air must be taken into account. It is better to wait for these indicators to come to a positive mark (the earth should warm up to +10 + 15 ° С, and the air + 15 ° С). As a rule, this weather occurs at the end of May or the first half of June. And finally, the recommendations of experienced gardeners: