A floral sponge is one of the main components of a flower arrangement. The functions of the sponge include: fixing artificial flowers and maintaining the life of freshly cut, living plants.
The material, impregnated with a special solution, prevents the growth of bacteria, which makes it possible to prolong the life and freshness of flowers.
- Types of floral sponges
- Where can you buy
- How to use
- How to make a flower arrangement using a sponge
- What can be replaced at home
Types of floral sponges
It is an essential material for any florist. There are several types of sponges, depending on the purpose: for artificial and dry plants and recently cut, live ones. The article will tell you about the features of flower sponges and the rules for preparing for work.
The composition of the floral sponge is porous, it is an artificial material that makes it possible to securely fix plants in a variety of compositions. It is often called floristic foam, due to some external similarity.
The main feature of the material is the fact that it allows plants to be placed at any angle suitable for a particular composition. Can be used for vessels of different sizes.
Several types are distinguished by color:
- Green - used for working with living plants, as they perfectly absorb water and retain it for a long time;
- Brown - for working with dried or artificial plants;
- Gray color - used for working with plants that do not need moisture.
In addition to color, they are divided into two more subspecies:
- Universal, sometimes also called classic. It is sold everywhere, it looks like a simple brick. It is used when creating volumetric compositions, for which the necessary shapes are cut out of the common "brick";
- Shaped. It differs from the universal one in that it comes to stores not in the form of a standard rectangle, but packaged in ready-made shapes, sizes and thickness.
In addition, it differs in colors: it can be either standard green, gray or brown, or a brighter color.
Before purchasing raw materials, the florist must determine what goals he sets for himself. So, for living plants, a gray base may not be suitable, since it does not hold water in the same way as green, as well as vice versa, which should be taken into account.
Where can you buy
This is a material that can be purchased at almost any florist store.
In addition, on the Internet, there are many opportunities to buy this material remotely, without spending a lot of time going to the store.
Before buying, you should clearly define the direction of work. For artificial and dry flowers, gray or brown is suitable, while for living flowers, green is suitable.
In addition, it is recommended to select a vessel in which the finished composition will be placed. Regardless of what exactly you stop at, all the sponges are easy to cut and give the desired shape according to the florist's idea.
Floristic sponge - how to use?
Many are worried about this question, but the answer is simple. It is a synthetic porous material that can absorb moisture in any volume the florist needs.
The latter should be considered before starting work. After absorbing moisture, the material becomes heavier.
After this base has been acquired:
- If necessary, cut to the desired size and shape;
- If the raw material was needed to work with artificial or dry plants, it should be placed in a container for subsequent work with fastening the objects of the composition;
- If it is intended for freshly plucked plants, it is recommended not to dry out. To do this, wrap the material with foil or a bag to retain moisture. In addition, it is worth systematically additionally moisturizing the sponge.
The process of getting ready for work is extremely simple. Even for novice florists, working with these raw materials will not be particularly difficult, although it requires attention and precision.
How to make a flower arrangement using a sponge
Before you start directly creating a composition, you need to decide on the raw materials.
So, first of all it is worth:
- Decide which base is suitable for the composition - green or brown;
- Choose a pot or other vessel in which the composition will be located;
- If necessary, trim the material;
- Fasten the material in the pot;
- Arrange the needles in several rows, securing them with a special adhesive mass. These are bindings for composition components.
After it is ready for work, you can start installing plants, branches, leaves and other components of the composition.
The last stage of work is masking the fasteners. It all depends on the imagination of the author of the composition.
What can be replaced at home
Question: What to replace a floral sponge with is one of the most popular on florist forums.
Florists say that nothing can fully replace this material. However, some argue that simple polyurethane foam will be a suitable replacement for the sponge at home.
In order to prepare a replacement, it is recommended to evenly place the foam on the bottom of the container of the future composition and allow it to harden. This option is suitable for working with dry plants.
For fresh flowers, polyurethane foam may also be suitable. In some way, foam will also be a good replacement, but the original base absorbs and retains water much better and there is no guarantee that the replacement will be completely equivalent.
Thus, it is possible to find a replacement, but whether it is worth spending time and money on this, it is up to each master to decide for himself.
A flower sponge is a unique material that is used to create various compositions, both from living plants and dry, artificial ones. It makes it possible to place flowers at the desired angle and maintain the freshness of living plants for a long time.
A few more useful tips for working with a floral sponge - in the video: