Keeping cut flowers fresh is a challenge everyone faces. There are a number of ways to keep roses fresh at home, especially the temperature at which the roses are stored and the humidity level are important.
- How to keep cut roses at home
- Optimum storage temperature for cut roses
- In what conditions are flowers stored in a flower shop
- Is it possible to keep roses in the cold
- Tricks to help extend the life of a bouquet
- Things to Consider When Cutting Roses
How to keep cut roses at home
The shelf life of cut roses depends on many factors.
The basic rules for keeping cut flowers at home include:
- Purchased bouquets are not recommended to be unpacked immediately. It is better to let them lie down for a while in a cool place. After that, rinse the sections under running water, while the buds themselves should not touch the water;
- When placing a bouquet in a vase, only stems without leaves should be under water, which can begin to rot;
- It is recommended to change the water daily, and wash the vase in which the flowers stand with detergent;
- Before placing roses in a vase, it should be thoroughly rinsed with a disinfectant that will destroy pathogens;
- Spraying the leaves regularly will help keep the plants in good shape. When spraying, it is important not to allow liquid to get inside the buds;
- For long-term freshness, you can use a special blend of nutrients and antiseptic, which can be purchased at a specialist store. However, if the mixture is not at hand, you can replace it with a spoonful of sugar diluted in a liter of water with an aspirin tablet and a pair of boric acid crystals;
- It is important to remember that a bouquet located next to fruits or vegetables will wither much faster, which occurs as a result of exposure to ethanol. The latter stands out in fruits;
- When choosing a vase, it is important to pay attention to its depth. So 2/3 of the length of the stems should be immersed in the water;
- In the cold season, it is not recommended to place flowers near heating devices. Also, it is important to remember that plants do not tolerate tobacco smoke, drafts and direct sunlight.
Ideally, if possible, it is better to put the bouquet in a cool room at night.
If this is not possible, you can always wrap the bouquet in paper and move it from the vase to the bucket.
Optimum storage temperature for cut roses
If cut roses can be donated or sold right away, great. But in cases where they need to be transported, or kept cut until sale for some time, it is important to know what temperature will be optimal for storage.
The ideal temperature is + 8-10 C. At home, you can use a refrigerator for storage or, if the temperature permits, a balcony.
If the allowed temperature rises, there is a possibility that the flowers will wilt. The same danger applies to temperature drops below + 5 C.
Compliance with the temperature balance and proper moisture is an important condition for the long-term preservation of fresh flowers. Since roses are tender, the slightest deviation from the norm can destroy the cut plant.
In what conditions are flowers stored in a flower shop
Storing flowers in a store requires special care, since the slightest mistake can lead to the death of the entire product. So, the most important thing in keeping roses in any conditions is a systematic change of water.
If this is not done, there is a danger of the activation and spread of putrefactive bacteria.
In addition, in stores to keep plants in good shape:
- Add one drop of bleach to the water to stop the decay. In this case, the water must be cool;
- Before placing the bouquet in water, the ends of the stems are split, and the lower leaves are carefully cut off. Sometimes the cut is scalded with boiling water;
- Every evening, roses, as plants are quite capricious, refresh: they remove the lower leaves and thorns, refresh the cuts;
- The water in the vase should be cold enough to cover the stems. Since cut plants need cool air, flowers are kept at the optimum temperature;
- In addition to a special powder, or an aspirin tablet, half a streptomycin tablet mixed in three liters of water can maintain a fresh look. Such mixtures prevent the formation of putrefactive bacteria that cause rotting of the stems.
A flower shop is a place where cut plants are looked after by specialists. If the maintenance rules are not followed, there is a risk of losing the entire product.
Is it possible to keep roses in the cold
Many experts recommend moving plants to a cool place overnight. This helps keep the plant fresh for longer.
But it is important to remember that a drop in temperature below + 5 C can destroy the plant.
But, if the plants still spent some time in the cold, it is strictly forbidden to immediately bring them into a warm room. Due to the sharp temperature drop, they will probably wither.
Roses should have time to get used to the new temperature a little. Therefore, even if the plants did spend some time in the cold, it is also worth returning them to a warm room with extreme caution.
Tricks to help extend the life of a bouquet
In addition to the basic, widespread methods of keeping roses in good shape, there are several more nuances.
So, in order for the petals not to crumble, it is recommended:
- Do not remove the packaging from the presented bouquet right away, let the flowers acclimatize;
- Before placing the flowers in the vase, immerse the bouquet, along with the leaves, in water for a while. You can use a bucket or bath;
- When choosing containers, it is better to focus on ceramics, such vases keep water fresh for longer, or transparent. The walls of the latter let in sunlight, which has a positive effect on the condition of the cut plants;
- Before filling the vase, it must be sterilized. To do this, you need to boil water, and hold the container over the steam for five minutes. After that, let the vase cool and fill with water;
- Do not put roses in the kitchen. In the room where the bouquet stands, the air must be clean;
- It is better to take water from a natural source: a well or a spring. If this is not possible, you can use tap water, which has settled for three hours. The most optimal liquid temperature is room temperature;
- To maintain freshness in water, you can dissolve several tablets of activated carbon, two drops of ammonia, a couple of glucose tablets or a couple of tablespoons of sugar.
When changing the water daily, it is better to move the flowers into a basin with a little water. here it is recommended to cut the stems obliquely. When moving the bouquet back into the vase, you should pinch the cuts with your finger to prevent air from entering.
Of course, all these secrets take time, but it's worth it. If you take a few minutes to care for the bouquet, the roses will delight the owners for a long time.
Things to Consider When Cutting Roses
Another way to keep flowers fresh is to cut them correctly.
So, it should be borne in mind that:
- The best time to collect is the morning, no later than seven o'clock;
- When choosing, you should focus on buds that have not yet blossomed;
- It is better to cut the stem at an angle, followed by the removal of the lower leaves.
This sequence is due to the fact that overnight the buds have time to be saturated with moisture and retain their freshness longer. Removing the lower leaves will reduce the risk of putrefactive bacteria growing.
How to maintain a fresh look of a bouquet is a common question that worries both industrial-scale gardeners and ordinary amateurs.
If you follow all the rules of care: a combination of moisture and the right temperature, this issue will cease to be a problem.
We recommend watching an interesting video with expert recommendations on how to maintain the freshness of cut flowers for a long time: