Folk remedies for feeding tomatoes involve providing plants with useful elements, improving the taste of fruits, increasing the resistance of bushes to damage by common diseases. Consider one of the effective formulations that include boric acid, milk and iodine.
- What is the use of boric acid for tomatoes
- Boron deficiency symptoms
- Whey recipe
- Composition with fresh milk for foliar feeding
- Means for increasing the yield of tomatoes, salad peppers, cucumbers
- Top dressing of tomatoes with ash and boric acid
- Helpful tips: how often to repeat the feeding of the bushes
What is the use of boric acid for tomatoes
Fertilizing tomatoes with boric acid, iodine and milk is one of the best options for increasing plant productivity.
Boron is one of the most important components of a bush treatment, so let's clarify what its usefulness is:
- Activates flowering and increases the number of ovaries.
- Increases keeping quality of ripe fruits.
- Increases the sugar content of fruits, thereby improving their taste.
- The plant receives protection from late blight.
It has been experimentally proven that the use of boron as a fertilizer increases the yield by 25-30%.
Boron deficiency symptoms
Boron is necessary for a plant for the following reasons:
- it improves the absorption of calcium;
- activates the respiratory function of the root system;
- stimulates the synthesis of biologically active substances.
An experienced gardener determines the lack of an element by the following criteria:
- the top of the plant begins to dry, the leaves roll, but at the same time the lateral shoots continue to grow;
- lightening and deformation of the leaves is noted;
- there is the formation of dry spots on ripening fruits;
- the number of flowers decreases, and the number of barren flowers increases.
Tomatoes can also shed flowers.
Immediately, we note that tomatoes can be fed with boric acid and iodine, and milk, and ash, and potassium permanganate in different combinations.
It will be useful for novice gardeners to familiarize themselves with a few simple but effective recipes.
Let's watch a video about how boron is useful for plants:
A solution of whey creates a protective film on tomato leaves that can prevent the development of diseases, in particular, late blight. To increase the effectiveness of the product, iodine and boron are added to the recipe.
The composition can be used not only for foliar, but also for root dressing.
- boric acid in an amount of 0.5 teaspoon is mixed with 100 g of hot water, you need to wait until it is completely dissolved and cooled;
- add 1 liter of fermented milk or whey, 18-20 drops of iodine;
- dilute in 4 liters of settled water, mix thoroughly.
The product is suitable for processing tomatoes in greenhouses and outdoor beds.
If the agent is used for watering, then it is recommended to spend 0.5 liters of fertilizer for each bush; before applying, the bushes are plentifully watered with warm, settled water.
Composition with fresh milk for foliar feeding
Feeding tomatoes with milk, iodine and boric acid can be done using fresh milk, and the product can be taken with any fat content.
To get 10 liters of the fertilizing composition, mix thoroughly:
- 9 liters of settled water;
- 1 liter of cow's milk;
- boric acid, 0.5 teaspoon, dissolved in hot water;
- 10 drops of iodine.
Treatment with such a mixture is useful for plants grown in open ground, in particular, if the air temperature is not stable and there is too much precipitation.
Boric acid protects the fruit from rotting when there is an excess of moisture and prevents the flowers from shedding. In addition, the ripening of the fruit is accelerated.
An agent that increases the yield of tomatoes, salad peppers, cucumbers
A miraculous solution is prepared with the same components as in the previous recipe, but potassium permanganate is additionally introduced into it, which is a good potash fertilizer.
The antiseptic properties of potassium permanganate will provide plants with additional protection against fungal infections.
Boron will slightly extend the flowering period, which will lead to more ovaries.
The proportions of the composition for the ovary:
- dissolved in 10 liters of water, to a pale pink color, potassium permanganate;
- 0.5 tsp boric acid;
- 10 drops of iodine;
- 250 g fresh milk;
- 50 ml of humate solution, choose the Humate agent, or Humate + 7, dilute them in accordance with the instructions.
A small amount of potassium permanganate should be diluted in a small jar and make sure that there are no undissolved crystals left.
We thoroughly mix all components, use for spraying vegetable crops.
We carry out treatments in the evening or early in the morning, when the sun is not yet active. The multiplicity of treatments - 3, throughout the season.
Let's watch a useful video on how feeding tomatoes with milk, iodine, milk, humate, potassium permanganate works:
Top dressing of tomatoes with ash and boric acid
Summer residents say that the most noticeable result is the foliar feeding of tomatoes with a cocktail prepared as follows:
- for a 10 liter bucket of water, add 2 liter cans of ash obtained from burning wood, bring to a boil;
- 1 teaspoon of boric acid is dissolved in a liquid cooled to +50 C;
- after cooling, add 10 drops of iodine.
Fertilizer is applied at the root, about 0.5 liters for each bush. But you can spray tomato bushes with a spray bottle.
Helpful tips: how often to repeat the feeding of the bushes
For all the usefulness of feeding tomatoes with boric acid with iodine and milk, it is not recommended to abuse them, only three of them are carried out per season:
- in the process of gaining green mass by the bush, before flowering;
- during flowering;
- during fruit setting.
Experienced vegetable growers note that foliar dressing with boron is more effective than watering.
An overabundance of boron can lead to dry spots on the leaves and their curling. During flowering, the element can cause pollen to burn, which will negatively affect the number of ovaries.
The break between dressings should be at least 10-12 days.
It should be remembered that boron crystals dissolve at temperatures from +50 C to +70 C. You should not prepare the solution in advance, over time it loses its useful properties.
For processing plants, it is better to choose dry, calm weather.
The best time to spray is evening. Leaves are processed on both sides.
Fertilizing tomatoes with boric acid, iodine and milk is a fairly effective tool to increase yields and protect plants from late blight. When preparing the compositions and processing the bushes, care should be taken, otherwise there will be a threat of leaf burns. Subject to all the rules, tomatoes will delight you with an excellent harvest.